Monday, November 22, 2010

18th Century - Battle of Korbach

The main engagement of the day featured an force of Gallians (French) attacking the Britannian army (British).  In most rule sets standing on the defensive would give you a significant advantage and the attackers forces would be augmented either by numbers or quality.  In our game using Batailles des Ancien Regimes, or BAR as it's more commonly known, the forces were within a point or two of each other with each side featuring guards, grenadiers, armored cavalry, etc.  However, in BAR except for the time spent getting cannoned in the approach, the card system for who moves and fires first negates that advantage.  One can argue the merits of the approach endlessly, but the reality is that a balanced game with chances for both sides can be easily created using the points system.

I found myself in the unusual position of commanding almost all the Gallian cavalry.  A huge mass of heavy, medium and light cavalry was put at my disposal on our right flank, opposed of course by equally determined opponents.  Todd and I squared off as the wing COs.  Isn't that how it always goes?  You travel to a game or convention with a buddy then end up playing against him.  Used to happen to me all the time when I was a tournament chess player.

The Britainnians were in Spiny Norman formation, that is to say a giant hedgehog.  Our Grassins looked to work around on the left while I was charged (no pun intended) with overwhelming the enemy cavalry and turning the enemy on the right.  Todd and I were engaged immediately in a see-saw battle.  Both of us were new to large amounts of cavalry so I don't know if I used better tactics or just got luckier.  But in the end I was able to drive off the enemy cavalry, capture two standards, and even rout a severely depleted Britainnian battalion charged in the flank. 


In the end we were triumphant all across the field and I was given the makings of my first monument, borrowing from the honored traditions of Grant and Young.

Despite the success enjoyed I think I'm just a ground-pounder at heart.  Till the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment